Saturday 20 September 2008






Dav,

Since my Euro tour I have had two months of summer holidays which are now coming to an end. During that time I have been visiting other exchange students and traveling as much as I can.

The week after the tour I went on a small trip with my host Rotary club to a nearby island called Bågø. We walked around the island (literally around) and saw the old church and some of the old buildings and had a very Danish lunch with Frikadellar (a Danish meatball/burger). The next day we celebrated my Host mother’s birthday. This was really fun as she was surprised with a ten week old puppy which she named Sasha.

A highlight of the holidays was visiting Legoland, which is an amusement park with the theme of Lego (you may remember Lil telling how Lego is from Denmark). A fairly new attraction there is a collection of mini cities they have, with models of sections of Amsterdam, Sweden, Norway, New York, etc.

The biggest highlight of my holidays was a concert organized by Tuborg beer with all Danish bands, Including Aqua a band that was big even in Australia around the same time the Spice Girls were. You probably know the song Barbie girl. After there performance they were signing merchandise backstage and I got to meet them and got there autographs. The lead singer of the band told me that if she were from Australia she would never leave because she loves it there.

My host parents took me to another concert called Rock under Broen (rock under the bridge) which is held underneath the bridge between two of the islands. It had mostly Danish bands, both modern and the classics, as well as the American singer Alanis Morrisette. One of the Danish bands is called Kick the Kangaroo and following there performance played “tie me Kangaroo down Sport”. I was extremely surprised at this. But even more so when afterwards they played it in Danish!


Speaking of performances I also had to do my drama exam which meant acting Romeo in the balcony scene of Romeo and Juliet. This was extremely hard because my Eurotour cut out a lot of practicing time. But the girl I was working with and I must of gotten it together because we were graded a 10. This is somewhere between an A- and a B+.

I have also visited Svendborg, which is located in the south of the island I am on about 45 minutes away, to see some Exchange students who come from Sydney. We went and saw the new movie Mamma Mia, which is very big in Denmark because of how close we are to Sweden. Svendborg is the origin of some of the largest container ships in the world.

I also experienced a very Danish event called Sct. Hans Aften, Which is celebrated on the longest day of the year. A very large bonfire takes place at the beach and they burn a witch (made similar to a scarecrow). I also visited Ribe, which is the oldest town in Denmark as well as apparently the town that drinks most in the world. It has one of the best Viking museums as well as Denmark’s oldest Cathedral. Another of the town’s great attractions is a street in which they also have a large collection of overly decorated doors.

My host family (the two parents, 15 year old host brother, 19 year old host sister and her boyfriend and my host mother’s mother) and I all went for a week to a summerhouse on the very west coast of Denmark. On different days we went to a Viking museum where I got to try archery, an old water tower, and old German war bunker from WWII, try fishing with actual worms and see a large collection of amazing sand sculptures
The town closest to mine also had an annual Cherry Festival in which I tried everything you could possibly make out of cherry as well as milking a cow. There was cherry beer, cherry ice-cream, cherry wine, cherry cakes…

I also took a trip to Copenhagen to visit an Australian girl from Brisbane. There we went and saw the statue of the little mermaid and the Carlsberg beer factory. There was a display at the beer factory in which a man had collected thousands of unopened beers with different labels from all around the world.

I have also been to see a Hans Christian Andersen play which is acted out by local kids with songs and dances about some of his most famous stories and poems. This girl is from the princess and the pea.
Well that’s all for now!

Jennie.
To travel is to live – HC Andersen

No comments: